Monday, August 8, 2011

MUDtastic Not Fantastic

Over the weekend I had an out-trip with my Marine Geoscience class. We were heading off to the Uni Farm located near Richmond where we would be wandering about in the mud. As the lecturer hadn't informed us what exactly we were doing all I knew was that we were going somewhere muddy and I'd probably want gumboots.

I told many people over the week leading up to my excursion that I was looking for gumboots as I was going to be playing in the mud over the weekend.


My rendition of mud wars


I tried to look for a pair of gumboots in Target but they only had 3 pairs left in their entire store and unfortunately they weren't in my size. On the way back home I stopped in a shoe store which was having a sale....but paying $99 for gumboots I was only planning on wearing once seemed a bit ridiculous!
It looked like I was going to have to take my leaky runners and coat my feet in plastic bags if all else failed. But luckily for me my new housemate was able to borrow his girl friend's boots for me and they were not only rather fashionable with coloured flowers but more importantly a perfect fit!

Anyway the day of the practical I found out who the other two members of the group were since I hadn't known anyone before hand to form a group with. One was a very confident guy who acted like he knew what he was doing but actually wasn't following the instructions very well. I later found out this is his second attempt at the class. The other guy appeared to know what we should probably be doing but did not voice an opinion and was rather reluctant to draw the different geological zones we were examining onto the map. At least he had taken the prerequisites and another related class last semester. We "finished" but the samples we had taken before being given proper instruction probably weren't as well done as they could have been, and our map lacked details in certain areas.


The actual area we were mapping. Can you see some of the other groups?


Some more of the area we mapped. At least I took some pictures!

During the practical where the analysis of our samples was explained, the lecturer mentioned that he was most worried for our group! *SIGH* Thank goodness I only need to pass this class! I know that this doesn't sound very positive but I'm really not that worried...I'm going to work my magic and make sure that we come out of this with a decent grade. It was an interesting experience anyway and I got to see a part of Tasmania that's not one of the touristy destinations.

2 comments:

  1. Must have been frustrating. There is always one in every class...and you got him with your group.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice sketch. Good you found the gumboots.

    ReplyDelete