Sunday, August 14, 2011

Sick :(

I've been sick and so was the weather!

"I know I've been nice recently but it's actually still Winter," is what I think the weather outside has been saying.



A dreary looking landscape

For the last week it has been dreary and depressing with a constant cloud overhead and moisture in the air. However there are lovely flowers blooming on the trees and really this can't compare to a Canadian winter. Since the start of the month there have been so many flowers blooming on trees and bushes that it has tricked most of us into believing it was spring.



The "cherry blossoms" are out.



It definitely makes the stairs look a bit better



Flowers at the uni

Even with the much warmer weather I still managed to catch a cold! However it's not too surprising; in my classes I can constantly hear noses being blown as it appears most others have succumb to some sort of winter sniffle. I thought I may beat the bugs as I started last semester popping vitamins as we had been advised. Unfortunately they have long since finished and even devouring all the oranges and other fruit I could, I somehow still got sick. Hopefully I wont get the flu as I did get the flu shot that was being given to international students last semester.


It's not too fun being congested and wishing my mother would appear with a bowl of hot chicken soup! (Hint Hint!-Time to visit your long lost daughter!) At least I can still bug her for a recipe so I can make something for myself.

Even though I was sick during the middle of the week, my classes aren't too many so I still managed to attend them all and still have enough time off to recover. I'm not sure how others deal with being sick and away from home but I seem to make a lot of comfort food. I used my leftover broccoli to make some cream of broccoli soup and treated myself to a couple cups of chai (the ginger and cardamon seem to perk me right up!). I decided that cookies would make me feel better so I made a batch of sugar cookies and used wax-paper to make interesting shapes I could trace out. I thought that my housemates wouldn't be as enthused to eat my cookies since I was sick....but that didn't seem to stop them from at all! The next day I made ginger/walnut and coconut bars thinking I might have a dessert party with friends on the weekend but there is no longer enough dessert left.

I've also spent some time in the library catching up on tv episodes.... (I really am taking classes here dad!)

Unlike a lot of other students I don't have much weekly homework as assignments are completed in classes and my group work assignments don't take place over weekends and even then we still have quite a bit of time left before they are due. Now that I'm almost recovered it may be time to do some actual work...but maybe after another episode of Glee...

1 comment:

  1. You did well in the baking department for someone who was sick. The bars sound delicious, no wonder they were all gone!! Lucky room mates. Hope you are all better now.

    ReplyDelete