Wednesday, January 26, 2011

A Place At Last

Well I finally have accommodation! It definitely has taken long enough too!

Back around December 20th, I decided that I should apply for accommodation in residence. There hadn't been any emails or brochures advising me on how or when to apply, but I decided I might as well apply, just in case I was up against the rest of the student body looking for accommodation

Around that time I also signed up for this easyroommate website and payed to become a premium member for a month for about $13. This allowed me to contact anyone and read their email, versus only contacting the premium members. I did get contact back from this site on a couple of occasions but nothing too promising.

Later in the new year, I decided to email the international accommodation people because the other international students had mentioned receiving an email telling them if they had been accepted for accommodation or not.  Although my accommodation was requested for a year and the others only a semester, I thought I should check if they had any information for me yet. Well they did, turns out I should have received the same email, which means I'm missing one more email!

After that, I seriously began looking for accommodation elsewhere since they said there would only be a low chance something would come up in the near future before I arrived. Signing up at one site because it looked like there was room led me to talking to a lady with accommodation 1/2 hour bus ride away. I also tried a gumtree website, similar to craigslist here. Finally one of my replies back from that easyroommate site looked useful.

At first I had a caps at $150 per week, although that never seemed to include electricity, internet or other bills and utilities. As well, their bus system isn't nearly as good as ours for a student, so the closer, the better. Their  bus pass is really just like a bus debit card, that subtracts the fare when swiped and has a cap at $4 a day, which can really add up! Our student bus pass valid any time, for any buses for one flat rate per semester is a way better deal. So by increasing my cap per weak, I found a place only a couple minutes walking distance away at a cost of $175 per week including bills/utilities and internet.


An internal view from the door


Another room shot-the bed is now a double bed

So those are some shots of what the place looks like. For me, it's also important to get a furnished room, since I wont be able to move/buy a lot of furniture.

The house also has a very nice view, a garden patch and deck. The kitchen is also rather nice too!

View of the Derwent River

I'll probably add pictures myself, when I get there, but for now this gives a bit of an idea of the place. Hobart definitely seems more expensive than some of the other place I thought about going to, but I can always get a part time job to supplement myself if need be... After all, only taking three classes might be boring!

No comments:

Post a Comment