Thursday, March 24, 2011

The Morning Drivel...errr Guide!

While they say Hobart is the second driest capital in Australia, these past few days have been wet! This bleak view outdoors worked well with me having an essay due this week, but not so well with me doing my laundry! I ended up spending almost all of Wednesday indoors editing my paper among other things, as shorts and pajama bottoms were my only options of clean clothes left.

To make up for my unadventurous week, I thought I'd mention a couple Aussie observations.

To start off with, lets begin with the morning news! Although where I'm staying the tv only has 4 channels there are two morning news shows, a pure news channel and a kids program running in the morning. At this time the pure news channel seems to air in Greek or something and isn't too useful for me. So the morning shows are my best bet for anything of interest.

Similar to what you might find at home, the hosts gossip about the celebs, and usually American ones at that. They always seem to have a guest cook on too, cooking them up something for breakfast. Then there is the infomercial section....yes thats correct, the morning shows are blatantly trying to sell me something. I've seen the same 3 fitness workers selling an exercise machine for my abs a handful of times. A less important co-host for the show will ask a bunch of rehearsed questions, and will be given staged answers by the buff trainer. Then they air testimonies from people who have used the machine...and suspiciously they all have American accents.  I know that occasionally hosts on shows at home "sell" a product, but usually it only last a few minutes and is done so that it seems they use the item and just want to tell others about it. But this is actually very amusing to watch as I can't believe I'm basically watching an infomercial take place during the news.



Workout time on the Ab Circle Pro!

To continue on in the morning line of thought, breakfast cereal means Weet-bix! Yes they there are Cheerios and Cornflakes and some other flaky stuff, but there must be close to 20 varieties of Weet-bix. (Okay, I only counted 10 varieties but there are a lot of box sizes too!) It comes in bite sizes and plain, or flavoured with fruit, honey or cocoa. There are then the larger bricks usually plain but in many varying sizes of boxes. I used to associate Weet-bix as that tasteless stuff that only my father would eat...but now I'm the one with a box in the cupboard for days I feel like a bowl of cereal!


Mmmm the breakfast of champions...or so they say!

No comments:

Post a Comment