Friday, March 11, 2011

Soaking in the Arts

Thursdays are a void waiting to be filled, considering my two classes that day have me finishing around 1 pm. However some free events gave me a very pleasant evening. A few weeks ago a newsletter sent to my inbox for International Students listed some events happening in town. By following a link on the Greek Street Festival, I found out about some more events occurring.  A free lecture at the University by a Dr. Richard Miles on what I assumed would have some Greek topic was happening. So I wrote down the date on my calendar and didn't think much of it.

Anyway, yesterday was the day, so I suggested it to a couple friends assuming they might meet me there. Then I head on down to the lecture theatre. I know the type of crowd these free lectures draw (around the  55+ age category) but there was about 10 people in my age range also attending the totally packed lecture.  Dr. Richard Miles was described as the David Beckham of Archaeology and gave a very interesting presentation on Ancient Greek history. While my friends didn't show up, I was pleasantly delighted to find out that there was a free reception. Plates of cheese, fruit, baklava (YUM!!), and sandwiches adorned the table. Surprisingly there was also beer and wine (and juice) being offered out as well. I talked to the pleasant lady beside me and a retired History professor as well.  I believe that a BBC documentary was eventually to be played, but I was called away by friends waiting for me in Salamanca.

As the presentation had taken longer than I thought, I got to the bar at Salamanca as their cups were getting dry. Sam said he wanted to show Nya and me a surprise nearby, so we headed towards the harbour.  What a cool art surprise it was!

As part of an arts celebration in Tasmania, an event called Ten Days (on the island) is running (for more than 10 days!). Anyway, a projection of water dwelling creatures was visible along the water surface. It looked really neat, but sorry no pics.

A short walk away in Franklin Park near the bus region, was the second surprise.  On the trees were projections of faces. They looked so neat as they blinked and adjusted their faces. Overall they looked rather sad, but it was so neat to watch them. There was also a slowly moving doll like woman projected under the statue in the park. I believe it was supposed to be the man's wife acting like she was supporting him.


The face in the tree


And the sad looking woman whose face was also being projected


Downtown Hobart at night

Now I know to attend some more free lectures when I hear of them as they are definitely worth it! As well, I'm going to keep my eyes open to see if I can spot any more interesting art exhibitions around!

1 comment:

  1. I looked and looked and saw nothing...so I read some more and then looked at the photos again and now I saw the them... faces on the trees...wow...they are neat!

    ReplyDelete