Friday, October 28, 2011

Exam Doom and Gloom plus Halloween Plans

I just had my first of my three exams today, which means I'm that much closer to going home. I have done quite a bit of studies; however I have still managed to spend time with friends as I enjoy my last days. As well, my computer cord broke...a third time!

After my computer cord first died, I ordered another one from China and while I waited for it, Emily leant me her computer. About 3 weeks after using it, the adapter started to make crackling noises and I could smell wire burning. So back to Emily's computer I went. Then part of her cord died, which had also been a Chinese import. Luckily that half on mine was still useable so we put the 2 cords together and that’s currently what I'm using on her computer. *Sigh* I'm just really lucky that all my notes can be found online and thus I don't actually need my own computer.

Besides the computer troubles, I've been planning for a Halloween Party. Most of my friends and housemates are internationals so no one (even the Australian's) does much for Halloween. However everyone seems keen to celebrate the day, especially as it also marks Emily's last exam. So I have been happily checking out all the best Halloween recipes, thinking and advising on costumes and deciding what we can do mark the exciting date. Coles and Woolworths have had Christmas goodies and decor out since the beginning of the month, but it was only 2 weeks ago that the first of any Halloween decorations could be found. Pumpkins, as in actual jack-o-lantern making pumpkins and not the winter squashes the Aussies are so fond of calling pumpkins are finally for sale. However at nearly $4/kg, and all of them quite large in size, I'm not sure I can afford one. I have 2 exams still to go, both on the 5th of November, but I’m really looking forward to this party as it’s also a chance to say goodbye to many of my new friends.

Today I met a Girl Guide Leader from Tasmania for a coffee and little chat. I was planning on giving her some crests from my area, where I help out back home but she suggested I give them to some girls at a meeting on Thursday. She also gave me a selection of badges from Tasmania she had at home. When I get them sewn onto my camp blanket back home, I’m sure I’ll have many jealous people admiring my Tasmanian Platypus crest!

No comments:

Post a Comment