Saturday, April 16, 2011

Cocktail Party

With the Easter week just on the horizon, it seems all the clubs, groups and rental houses, which will allow it, have partying on their minds.

Back during O-week, Nya and I payed the membership cost to join the Engineering club, and while other groups and clubs have been having events, we hadn't heard anything from them. So Nya sent off an email to them along with some other clubs we hadn't heard much about, and that's how we found out about the bushwalking trip. The Engineering club also responded saying that they have had troubles with their email list, but they were hosting a 1920's Cocktail party with the Pharmacy club this Friday. Apparently these annual parties are very popular, so Nya was interested and asked if I would come too, since neither of us really know anyone in engineering or pharmacy.


Oh the 1920s!

So thats how I ended up shelling out some money for a ticket, and later accessories for the party. Nya and I spent a very busy Thursday afternoon in town, trying to find all the right accessories for a good costume. Luckily we both had a basic black dress to work with! Small handbags from the Salvos store (Salvation Army), shoes and nylons from Target, discount feather hairpieces from another shop, and eventually we  found a decent deal for feather boa's and "pearl" necklaces. The necklaces were probably our best find as we bought 1.5 meters of shiny Mardi-Gras type beads from a fabric shop for only $3.

On Friday before heading to Nya's place to get ready, we did some Easter trip planning. While the exact details are a bit limited, it looks like I'll be travelling around Tassie and doing some walks with my friends. Tents and other camping supplies are care of the Bushwalking club which is awesome!

After the meeting, Nya and I cooked up some pasta bolognese made from Roo! It tasted quite good, so I'm not afraid to pick up my own minced Kangaroo meat. We spent quite a bit of time getting ready and then I left my pack there so that we only had jackets and a tiny bag to take along. 

The party was held in the Cascade Brewery hall and gardens which looks really neat, so eventually I'm going to need day-time pics when I can get back there, maybe for a tour. The party was very lively (probably due to the free drinks!), and they had a live band playing some 1920's jazz and later a DJ.
Nearing 12am, double decker buses took us into town, so the party could continue on. (The clubs are all about a block away from Salamanca place)
Anyways, it was after 3am when Nya and I left, and since my stuff was still at her place, only a 10min walk away, thats where I ended up crashing for the night.


The band! (most other pictures are too blurry to see much!)

Needless to say, we had a very lazy morning but did manage to check out the Salamanca Market and meet up with some other friends before I finally made it back to my own home in the late afternoon. As mentioned, it's the party weekend, so I'll check out a house party later this evening which is being hosted by a bunch of international students, most of whom I haven't met. Good thing there are very few assignments I have due in the next while!

5 comments:

  1. Did you look and dance like those girls in the photo you have posted??

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also want to throw a party like this. This blog is a good source for panning a good cocktail party.

    Corporate Party in Brooklyn

    ReplyDelete
  3. Superb post. I personally love cocktail parties. Even on our 10thwedding anniversary we would be hosting a garden themed night cocktail bash. I would be hosting a grand party and have already decided to book some suitable event venues Chicago from Eventup.com.

    ReplyDelete