Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Time to Study (or not!)

Well I’m officially done classes for my first semester here and into my study week. At home we usually only get a weekend off before exams start, so having a full week off is quite surprising.

I did have the house to myself for the past week as my landlord went to Adelaide and my other flatmate has been spending most days and nights at her family home in Kingston (only a short drive away). For two of those evenings Nya came over and we did some studying and made dinner together. I was also busy baking some cookies and muffins so that I would have some goodies to share. However, over the weekend Nya went to Melbourne with a flat mate so I did considerably less studying.

On Saturday morning I met up with some other international students and we had brunch at the Salamanca court. A well regarded restaurant, Machine served up some delicious food. I had French Toast served with all sorts of berries...YUM!! The Machine Laundry Cafe is kind of original as it offers you the opportunity to wash some clothes in their Laundromat section as you enjoy a cup of tea or coffee. I spent the rest of my morning walking around the Market before heading to my empty home. Sunday night I watched a movie with some other students making a relaxing end to my weekend.


Yup I stole this, but a look at the inside of Machine


Also stolen, but just as busy as when I've been

Since my sister’s 21st birthday is coming up in June, I had been looking for the perfect card to send her. Unfortunately there really is a lack of styles of cards compared to what I’m used to. Australia doesn’t have any Carlton Card or Hallmark shops. Instead, as I’ve been informed, the best place to buy cards is from a Newspaper Stand or Store. I did find a wider selection there than anywhere else, but still was not completely satisfied. One thing to appreciate at home is the wide variety of cards that cater to all sorts of situations and relationships. Regardless, I sent out my card a good two weeks in advance to make sure it arrived in time. So HAPPY BIRTHDAY SISTER!! 

1 comment:

  1. We want to see a photo of you eating at one of these cafes. Sounds like an interesting place to do your laundry and have your morning breakfast.

    ReplyDelete