Friday, June 24, 2011

Darn that Ash

The rest of my time in Hobart was spent visiting friends and eating out. An end of exam party at one friend's house meant trying out Italian food at a nearby restaurant (Just so I didn't have to walk all the way from home!). Another night was filled with movies and Chinese take-out from one of the many restaurants along Sandy Bay. The day after that was spent around town with friends, making last minute university souvenir purchases, having the picnic lunch at Machine (highly recommended!) and then buying all the makings for a salmon dinner. I still had a $25 gift certificate for the Tassal Salmon Shop in Salamanca that expired at the end of the month so Morgane (an American I only recently became friends with) and Sabby and I bought some salmon, gnocchi, spinach and wine and cooked up fancy dinner, including appetizers of smoked salmon on baguette. The day after that we went to a Mexican restaurant in North Hobart called Amigos with a filling Tuesday night special. For $22 we had a choice of appetizers, a large entree and desert!

 On Wednesday I had had plans to leave Hobart with Nya and head on to Sydney. However the ash from the eruption in Chile was causing problems for the second time in two weeks. Most flights Tuesday and all flights Wednesday were cancelled. Instead I was able to spend more time with new friends and then take part in "The 12 bars of Christmas"- a celebratory bar hopping experience for those of us missing the Christmas season we associate with the winter season.

Although our trip was delayed I am rather glad I was given another day to meet up with all these international students that I have only really begun to know. I have a feeling one of the saddest parts about staying behind while everyone else leaves is going to be deleting all these numbers of friends I've met from my phone!

Finally on Thursday evening Nya and I were dropped off at the airport by her housemate and caught our flight to Sydney. We're 'couchsurfing' and found a place very close to the centre of town. I'm only here until Monday so I'll give hints and explain what I've done in another post, although as a hint, tonight is the Swedish Midsummer so we'll be celebrating that too!

No comments:

Post a Comment