Thursday, June 16, 2011

Freedom comes in the shape of a pizza

Okay, weird title, but for me it was true. Yesterday was my last exam...a painstaking 3 hours. It was actually my environmental chemistry exam which I could have used another day to study for. I had almost finished the entire exam in the first hour so slowed it down for the last quarter but still had a lot of reviewing time left.

Anyway, to celebrate the last of my exams I went to the METZ. Its an odd bar/restaurant in Sandy Bay about 10 minutes from Uni. Its the regular Wednesday night hangout for many students including quite a few international students since they offer "cheap" pizza ($10 each off their classics menu) and beer ($10 a jug) one night a week. I wouldn't plan on eating there any other night as prices are nearly double, but since I rarely eat out  it was a nice treat for me! (btw the Mediterranean and Spicy Potato are both very good) Afterwards of course, I went to Saby's house, only minutes away, and some of us watched a chick flick.

Also on the theme of round circular objects there was a lunar eclipse last night...but of course I didn't find out until this morning...darn!

And to finally sum up the round circular object theme post....I should talk about moola! During this past semester I've been keeping an excel file on my expenditures. It helps to know where your money is going and to see how well I've done with the budget I set up before leaving home. I never wanted to rack up a huge bill for this trip abroad since I really value financial freedom...and I believe my parents are just as happy knowing I am not relying on them at all while away.

To be honest, I'm more of a saver than a spender so no, I rarely treat myself to meals out, buying things I don't need or going on many trips. However I still think I've done well without the professional tours, I regularly check out the Coles and Woolworths fliers online, and take advantage of specials and deals(like my pizza night out!).

I worked out my average weekly spending which includes my:

  • Housing- I found my place independently so it's cheaper than the university's accommodation and doesn't lock me into a contract like the student unions housing rentals. It also includes internet and electrical (you don't pay for water in Tassie...yet)
  • Food- This normally is just groceries but it does include the times I've eaten out or grabbed a coffee somewhere.
  • Clothes and Supplies- At the beginning of the year I bought a few extra shirts and more recently a hand mixer and thermos but since my housing came with bedding and towels I  don't have a lot of expenses. I have included all my postage costs and cards I've bought under here though.
  • Phone- My provider is Optus and they have very cheap rates for international calls and I just top up my balance once a month...although in Tassie Telestra has better coverage (but I don't think there's much difference in Hobart or Launceston)
  • Entertainment- Most of what I do is inexpensive but this does include the couple of park fees, tickets to events and my Easter road trip expenses
  • Transportation-I originally thought that I'd need to catch the bus more often...but I've been doing a lot more walking...even with all the hills. It does include my upcoming flight to Sydney though (as long as the ash cloud stays out of the way)!

So on a weekly average this works out to about $264 AUS. My food costs come out to about $43 AUS per week. These are obviously Tassie specific too as I noted that when comparing options on the mainland, Tassie was pricier. Food costs also seem to vary a bit and there aren't as many options here to choose from as there would be in a similar sized place on the mainland.

On a side note..the extra costs involved with banking including the fees for depositing travelers cheques, transferring funds via wire transfer...plus the really poor exchange rates are costs I wasn't expecting to be so high.

Anyway, now that I'm "free" I can start planning what to see during my vacation!

1 comment:

  1. You always were a saver...good work though. Now you have more to spend on seeing other places.

    ReplyDelete