Sunday, February 20, 2011

And I would walk 189 steps....

Not a lot to report, but I'm a little bored so I decided to do some writing. Friday was rather boring and instead of attending any useful seminars I helped my Russian friend sign into her classes. I did  make it to the BBQ rather early before most people had arrived. I found it funny that the burgers were served with regular sandwich type bread instead of buns. There were also sausages or wieners being served...but again no buns for them. Alongside was a bowl of salad...well lettuce tomatoes and cucumber but I didn't see any dressing so it went in my sandwich burger. The BBQ really wasn't run very well from my perspective. I noticed many people with huge plates of food, it seemed this was feeding everyone in their home and the BBQ had barely started. As well, many people were going back for seconds before the majority of people had even showed up. At least I had something this time though. I also grabbed an orange from the untouched fruit pile, as I needed the peel for a recipe I have yet to make.


TRU and UTAS

I was recognized a bit by some of people at the same table set-ups, but not everyone was back, and I didn't make it to the rock climbing club again. I did manage a tour of the newly upgraded "Morris Miller Library" which is soon to be open 24/7 with use of a pass-card. Earlier I had noted the pathetic times of the library closing at 6 pm weekdays and not open at all on the weekend. That will be a nice upgrade. I thought I had missed a mildly important session for one of my classes but realized later it was for a class that I was no longer enrolled in as it had just been a back up class.

Saturday I woke to rain...nearly all day. I wake up reasonably early, about 8:30 am as the light starts to come in through the high windows and hits my face. My original plan had been to walk down to the well known Salamanca Market near the city centre. However the heavy rain was just not that enticing to walk through. To do something anyway, I walked to the grocery stores and picked up a couple more items...I am constantly stocking up on things so that in the future lighter loads less frequently will do. Even with an umbrella and raincoat I still managed to need a change of pants, as well as dry off my arms and dry my damp grocery bag out. For another night I lucked out as the homeowner was making a stew for supper and offered me a bowl too! I ended the night watching a James Bond movie playing on TV, followed by a bit of Monster in Law just because I was in no hurry to go to bed.


UTAS in the rain (heading home)


A fancy looking home along the way

Today I woke up to a bright sunny day around 8 am, and headed into the kitchen to make "Kamloops Pancakes". I must admit that I had some trouble getting the stove to the right temperature and in the end just made enough for myself putting the batter with a "Help Yourself" sign in the fridge. From my flatmate, I had heard that there might be another market on in the city centre, and as the day was much nicer with only some light rain, I headed out in that direction.

I was expecting a call from her to meet up, but as it never came, instead I explored the "Mall" section. I found a rather cheap store - The Reject Shop- with a decent deal on canned tuna and other odds and ends. It's a bit of a walk so maybe busing it back next time would be good. As it was a Sunday, many shops were actually closed, and as I saw no signs of the other market I walked back towards home. I did end up going through "Battery Park" the historical older section of town. It was very pretty and many houses have lovely flowers as well as a nice view of the harbour. From there I walked to the grocery store section picking up another armload of things which will hopefully keep me going for the next couple of days until I run out of milk...or bread.


A house with a view in Battery Point


The harbour from Battery Point

The strong wind must have caused some of the ever pealing bark to come off and hit me in the head just as I was walking towards the stairs home. Not really an ouch! but a baffled surprised look that nobody was around to see. Then I climbed up...and actually counted the stairs. I think 189 steps from the bottom to the point I get off is correct(theres only a handful more and then its a steep paved slope to the next bend). Just to complain some more..they aren't even flat but angled up hill, and a little too long in length wise for a "normal step" and a little too much of a drop as well. But I can make it up them now without stopping for water or catching my breath like I've been running a marathon.

Any way, I have my first class tomorrow at 10 am, rather later than what I'm used to which is nice. It's on the "Global Geography of Change" and then I have a second year class on "Environmental Chemistry" at 12 pm. Thats all for a first day however there is the first of the O week activities ( I.E. O Week Barrel consisting of cheap beer, free pizza and music) which I might attend.

2 comments:

  1. :) just read all your blog posts!!!!!!!!!!!!!! sounds like you are enjoying yourself.
    I hope your first day of classes was good :)
    keep on posting

    ReplyDelete
  2. lol! Thanks for becoming a "follower" too! I'll post again, probably tomorrow, since I haven't got any classes then!

    ReplyDelete