Thursday, February 17, 2011

Orientation Week

From Tuesday until Friday, it's Orientation Week at UTAS. Not to be confused with the well known O-week that older grads fondly recall as the time they got "wasted all week"...that apparently is next week.
This Orientation week is geared towards new-comers, so first year Uni students or like me, international students coming to this university whether to complete a degree, or to come here for their full schooling experience, make the majority of student milling around on campus.

So to give a bit of an idea of what has occurred so far this week, I refer to my schedule which has guided me to all the important events so far.

On Tuesday, I headed to the International Student Centre as I thought that was required of international students. Instead there were probably about 30 people waiting for the doors to open...or rather someone to guide them and tell them what to do. Thats where I met my "friend for the day", a Russian girl who was coming to UTAS to do her entire degree. She had completed some of her high school up at Launceston and now wanted to do her university degree in Australia as well. Together we found out there really wasn't anything to do except attend the "International Student Welcome Session"...which was rather unexciting. A couple things I did notice was that the school attracts a lot of Asian students...and predominately Chinese...so actually most sessions were geared towards them. As well, all these sessions that I had mapped out a plan to attend one after the other were totally unnecessary as not only did most of them start anywhere from 5 to 10 minutes after the start time...but they also ended a good half hour before the claimed completed time.

Anyway, Tuesday I also took a tour of the campus...and my friend left me halfway through claiming her mother was bored in the hotel (but really I think those high heels were getting to her after all the climbs, the stairs and the ups and downs we had done). The tour was very brief and not overly informative..but I did learn that there are often free breakfasts Tuesdays, on the lawns of the student union building!

Also this night, my other flat mate came back and I got to talk to her. Oddly enough moments after meeting her, she and I had to catch a large spider that had taken over the table. I say large but she said its rather small compared to some she's seen...however this was the first she'd seen inside the house. She's very friendly and outgoing, and has already invited me along to all sorts of future get-togethers and adventures. She has plans to go camping with friends from her work and wants to Kayak down to an island, stay overnight and kayak back the next day. She then lent me a book on Tasmania which I've been flipping through trying to see where I might really want to go.


YIKES!! The "small" spider on table patrol

On Wednesday I went to some more rather boring Orientation events. Although I did sign up for a bank account, get my schedule sorted out, learn my email address and computer info, and get some idea about whats needed if I want to look for a job. I also went shopping and bought some baking supplies!! So guess what I did today?

Well, first was the general welcome announcement...and lots of people attended. This was mainly for all the new science students which was kinda neat to see. We also got a look at where everyone was from...apparently not many Canadians in the group...me and maybe one or two others. My friend of the day this time was from Sweden and she was also on exchange but for just one semester. After the welcome we broke up into sections of what your degree was focussed on and then got to choose what seminar topic to listen to. They were very class specific (or Unit specific as they say here) and the Profs talked directly about the class they were teaching in the upcoming semester. Since I have one first year science, one second year science, and one first year history class... this was only really useful for the first year science class as second years don't come to orientation and the history class I assume will be covered by the Arts faculty orientation-tomorrow (Friday) which I might as well attend.


Bunnies? Yup they're inhabiting this campus too!

After the one useful session I decided to take the tour of the building offered by some of the instructors. It was helpful (also offering a free BBQ coming up next Friday) but a little long as lunch was right after. Lunch (another free BBQ) was being offered on the other side of campus, so I thought I'd grab my student ID card on the way. That was rather quick to do but the BBQ had basically packed up by the time I got to it. So I checked out the booths and was nearly roped into signing up with a rock-climbing club! (pun intended) It's a cost of $15 (apparently this was a limited time offer but we'll see if it really has gone up $5 tomorrow) for use of their indoor climbing gym. Then $2 for renting a harness and shoes each time...overall not bad. They also plan trips to nearby areas so I'd be able to see a bit of Tassie...just pay to rent the climbing stuff and split petrol for the drive. It would be awesome to have a friend to go with...but I guess I'd be making friends there. I think I will probably sign up at tomorrows free BBQ...which this time I'm not missing!

After the BBQ there were two more sessions I could attend, but I didn't see a point as my classes weren't going to be covered by either. Instead I headed home and made some "Sticky Top Muffins" (using rhubarb on top) and "Rhubarb Sauce Cookies". The muffins were so-so but the cookies not bad, although you didn't even notice the rhubarb which I'm not sure is the point. I guess I should make dinner too...but with my odd lunch of muffins, cookies, and tea I'm not hungry anymore.

So to conclude, tomorrow I'm going to go for the Arts Orientation just so I can go to the one useful seminar on my history class, attend the BBQ and probably sign up for the rock-climbing group (eek!!). I believe I will also meet up with my Russian friend...maybe she'll join the climbing club too?! Then Orientation week will be over and it will be the first week of classes/ O-week...exciting!


Just another shot of the river from the street near the house

No comments:

Post a Comment