Monday, February 7, 2011

Taking a Walk-About

Today, left to myself and with much to explore, I went for a walk and picked up some groceries.
I started my day around 8:30 am..however I didn't exactly leave my bed. I picked up my computer to check for emails, and started talking to a friend for the next half-hour. Afterwards I showered and made myself some oatmeal for breakfast, sitting outside on the patio to enjoy the sun.


My breakfast nook, with Elliot posed for a picture



My walking route for the day

When I had cleaned up and made myself a snack for the road, I headed out in to the beautiful courtyard, and out  to the street (A). I walked down to the beach and found a spot to sit and admire the view (B). Since I didn't really have a destination in mind, I took my time and just enjoyed the sound of the birds, the waves, the chirping bugs and watched the many runners and walkers along the stretch of beach.

When I was ready to go, I meandered through the park and then towards the pier. It is famous for leading to the breeding ground of little penguins. I sat and watched the interesting swans and seagulls, not really expecting to find any penguins. (C) But as I headed to the end, an extremely browned man, who had been feeding the swans and swimming in the breakwater, pointed to the rocks and said "Happy Feet". Thats where I saw my fist penguin, squinting in the sun. I spotted another one nearby and snapped a picture of him too.


A cute little penguin squinting in the sun


Another penguin, also poking its head out


After the Pier I headed along the beach and stopped at a bench (D) to read a couple chapters of a book and snack on the bread I had packed. Then I headed to the Coles Supermarket, which I had searched online for the night before. The prices were much more reasonable, and I took my time checking out the deals before heading to the checkout with my items. The walk back was longer with a bag in my arms, but upon arriving back at the base camp, I was able to make myself a meal of pasta and satisfy my hunger.

A couple hours later I headed to the park across the way, and wandered from reading spot to reading spot, although I never made it to the lake. Although I'm sure my legs look very white, after taking off my shoes there was a clear line of "tanned skin". My nose also has reddened with the sun exposure, and the corners of my arms appear a bit more red too.

Tonight's dinner is at "Banff", a little pizza place with a deal on. For $5.50, I will be satisfied once more. I'm told tipping is unnecessary as often servers are payed around $22/hour. Thats extremely higher than the measly $8/hour most servers in British Columbia make!

No comments:

Post a Comment