Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Tram Shablam

I am pleased to report that I have conquered the infamous tram system of Melbourne.  But first I'll summarize my Tuesday.

So I had planned on venturing to the city and catching a Tram on Tuesday...however I chickened out. The closer I got to leaving the more I became unsure of. Its one thing to be in a place where everyone drives on the other side of the road, but definitely more complicated when trying to determine how to board a Tram, something I've never done before. What side of the confusing road barriers to stand on, how to pay and where, as well as what type of ticket is needed, which exact tram to take, how far to ride it, knowing the stop on the way back and what to do when you get there all became questions I wasn't sure I had answers for. So instead I decided to take a walk to the "lake" and ended up walking the 5 km around it as well.



St. Albert Lake

The entire time I walked, I was almost always near someone else. There was a constant source of power-walkers, runners or bikers passing me in both directions. Considering it was the middle of the day on a work week, I definitely have the impression that Aussies are fit. And why not, there are all most no hills and nearly every day has been so pleasant who wouldn't want to venture out doors.

After coming home, I finally got up once more to go buy a couple more groceries from the Coles Supermarket, a good 20 min walk away. I think I passed my exercise quotient for the day.

During my time at home, I decided to watch a couple YouTube videos on the tram system in melbourne. I also walked to the nearest 7-Eleven and purchase a day pass for the trams, to be validated when I was finally ready to catch my first tram. I also researched where I wanted to go, and looked for as many free activities I could do. This definitely helped me feel more confident in my ability to catch a tram...and not look like a fool.

So Friday I woke up earlier, made my breakfast as well as packed a lunch for me to take. I then exited and started heading to the tram stop junction that the metro website had suggested. As I neared the intersection which I hadn't walked to before...I had a hard time spotting where to go. To make things a little more hard, the intersection was not the usual four directions we normally have at home, but more a pentagon, with cars flying past in all sorts of directions. As I crossed the street and started heading back on the opposite side of the road, I noticed the sidewalk end, but a sign pointing down a ramp to a level below indicated I might be able to find the junction after all.

It led me to a definite stop for many trams, and I was lucky that the route 16 tram, which was one of the few I recognized was just coming up. It stopped and myself and the two others who had appeared hopped on the busy tram. Due to watching the videos, I knew where to use my met pass to validate it for the day, and then I was able to take a seat and blend in with the locals.

I rode the tram for about ten minutes and then along with many others, got out at the Federation Square stop. I then scurried across the street to the Visitors Information Centre and picked up some maps in case I got lost.


The impressive Flinders Street Station- a central railway station

There are two museums in Federation Square that offer free admission when no exhibitions are on.


Federation Square looking at the NGV Autralia

The Australian Centre for the Moving Arts was where I headed first. The girls in the front were busy chatting, so I followed the man infront, but he quickly disappeared. I then headed down the escalators behind two women to the bottom floor, still unsure of if I was supposed to pay. Oddly the escalator stopped moving as the woman in front got off, so I awkwardly walked the last couple steps.  When I got close to an exhibition, it looked like the Guard was collecting tickets or something, so I feigned a trip to the washroom and back tracked out of there.

Next up was the NGV Australia-National Gallery of Victoria, Australia. The friendly staff smiled as I entered so I asked if the exhibition was free and where to go. With an exhibition map in hand, I spent the next couple hours checking out indigenous art, paintings by immigrants to Australia as well as a large collection of self portraits. I was even allowed to take photos, which in museums can be a rare treat.


Indigenous Art Work


A self portrait painted by foot!

Nearly lunch time, I headed back out and was stopped by the sound of music twice. The first time coming from a choir group taping a number that they planned on sending to the flood victims in Brisbane. Then outside, a police group preforming well known Jazz tunes for those milling around Federation Square.


The Victoria Police Group preforming in the square

After wandering aimlessly for a bit, I caught a free tourist shuttle bus near the square. A couple stops later I hopped off near Carlton Gardens located beside the Royal Exhibition Building housing the Melbourne Museum. Not really in the mood to look through another museum, I walked around the gardens, and had the other half of my sandwich. I think these gardens seem to attract a lot of locals stopping by during their lunch break or just meandering  by on there way somewhere else.


The impressive looking Royal Exhibition Building

Catching the next shuttle bus, I head around the edges of town passing the University of Melbourne, the Queen Victoria Market (closed on a Wednesday), the Docklands areas (with lots of shopping) and back to near the beginning with the Royal Botanic Gardens. I hopped out one last time and headed towards the Shrine of Remembrance as it stood out greatly compared to the other small statues and landmarks. I was glad I did as I slowly made my way past the crypt and to the sanctuary, I was informed that in a couple minutes they would be reenacting the light ceremony.


The long cross-like pathway leading to the Shrine of Remembrance

By now I'm sure you are wondering what exactly the Shrine of Remembrance is all about. During the first world war Australia fought for Britian, and lost many soldiers. One in five never returned, and a huge number were bedridden. As many of the bodies were not to return home, Australians and mainly Victorians donated their money towards the construction of this Shrine. Its a beautiful building sitting on a bit of a hill, with an amazing view not to be obstructed from any direction. On the 11th of November a ceremony is held inside, where the light at 11am pours through a hole in the ceiling passing over a plate with the words "Greater Love Hath No Man" for a full eleven minutes.

To my delight, a guide chose to start up a tour after the ceremony, and a small handful of us spent the next hour and a half learning about all these interesting tid-bits of information. For instance, when Australians decided to move to Daylight Savings Time, this screwed up the ceremony, so now mirrors are place within so that the same effect may occur. However at 12pm the light no longer needs the mirrors and plays across the plate like it was meant to. As well, after WWII, Australians wanted something else to be set up, but due to height restriction so that a shadow isn't cast on the Shrine, it was decided that a giant cross pathway be made instead leading up to the Shrine.


The large cross built to honour those who suffered through WWII

There were many other interesting pieces of information I learned, and I would definitely recommend the tour to anyone else heading out this way.

At the end of the tour I headed down the hill, and caught another tram heading back to my home away from home. The tram ride home was easy enough and I didn't need to do anything except find a seat as my met pass was all ready validated and good for the rest of the day.

2 comments:

  1. An Aussie girl at my work said that Melbourne is getting some of the flooding now too. Apparently, they're putting some hefty taxes up to pay for damages... Have you noticed anything so far?

    ReplyDelete
  2. When I arrived uncle said the parking garage entrance had been in 3 feet of water the day before but he drove on through...its sloped so he was ok since he parks at the top. They keep on talking about taxes on the news but I haven't noticed anything yet. Actually, most items include the GST all ready but food items dont have any so Im not sure what will occur.

    ReplyDelete