Monday, February 14, 2011

Hobart

Well I'm officially in Hobart and am almost ready to start Orientation week tomorrow.
But to recap the events leading up to now, I must include my final day in Melbourne.

So on the Saturday, I was informed that there would be a BBQ at my cousin's. So that afternoon at around 12, my Uncle and I walked the short distance up to his place. We had a very filling lunch of barbecued chops and sausages and two salads. My cousin and his girlfriend were planning on heading out to Mordialloc which is located about 20 minutes down the coast. We took the famous Beach Road which follows the coast line closely. In order to give me a slightly better tour, we stopped in the "rich" neighbored and got out to inspect the beach and the Beach Sheds that cost a fortune just to own.


Beach houses...really just small shacks that the rich own along this stretch of the beach


On the way back from Mordialloc, we took the more commonly traveled Nepean Highway, and this time passed by the city on towards a neighbourhood just north of Melbourne. I cant quite recall the name of the neighbourhood, and our reason for going was to visit some friends.

After heading back to St. Kilda, via the "Posh neighbourhood" and the Vietnamese shopping district, I arrived back in time for some movie watching. The overall day was quite nice and I definitely enjoyed getting out of the city and seeing things not along the Tram routes.

The next morning was my flight out of Melbourne and into Hobart. It was a quick little flight and really not that exciting as I was tired having stayed up late watching one movie and needed to get up by 6:15am to get to the airport in time for an 8:30am departure. A lady stood right near the exit gate holding a sign for UTAS which was nice and I took my bag to a bus waiting for us. There were two others on my same flight also being taken, although only one of them was registered for classes. A girl from another flight was collected too minutes later and we were driven to our accommodation. I chatted briefly with the couple sitting in front of me, but nothing of significance. As all three of them were heading to Christ College on campus, I was left alone after they departed together. The lady drove me right up to the door of my accommodation and even rolled my bag down to the door. She handed me a package including a soup mix, some tea and drink mixes and some milk, given to student not staying on campus just so if hungry there is something for them to have. Unknown to them was that I had packed up my leftover oatmeal and pasta so I did have some basic foods to survive on if needed anyway.

However luckily for me, the house owner said that he had been planning on making a roast chicken and some salad as a welcoming introduction to his house. I was shown my nice and large bedroom, just like the picture, and started to unpack and put all my things away. The other girl renting a room was still asleep when I arrived, and some time while I was either unpacking or talking on my computer, she left with her boyfriend so I have yet to meet her! The owner had gone to the store for some more items for dinner and thus never was able to mention the dinner plans.

While waiting for dinner I went for a walk around the area. Tasmania is incredibly hilly and I would even say a little mountainous. Close to the house on one side is a steep and very long set of stairs leading to the University. On the other side of the house is an entry into a little hiking park that takes you into the bush and making you feel quite alone and far from all the houses surrounding the area. I first walked down the stairs to the Uni and scirted the major building to be led to the base of the road the house is on. I then walked back to the park entry and wandered around the loop trail inside before finally making my way back to my new home.


From almost the bottom, the stairs that lead up from the Uni to my road...I climb these every day!

I helped a little with the dinner by getting some lettuce from the garden and then waited until the call of dinner time. The chicken was delicious and the salad had roast veggies in it for some extra zang. Desert to my surprise was even made, and included a chocolate cake with baked pears and a scoop of ice-cream! YUM!!
Needless to say, I went to bed nice and satisfied!


View of the river from the road near the house

This morning, I started to wake a little earlier as the light filters in through some high windows in the angular room. However I remained in bed for as long as I could sleep...about 8:30am...before getting up. Although it was a Monday today, the orientation was not taking place today as it was a holiday for Hobartians due to a "Wooden Boat Festival" and Regatta taking place in town. So around 10:30am I headed down to the nearest supermarket and picked up some more supplies. The walk back with one loaded down bag was treacherous and as I climbed the stairs, I had to stop more than once to catch my breath.


Looking back towards the city from the docks at the "tall ships" docked nearby


The street view out across the the harbor as the boats are leaving to head out to the river

I had noticed that due to the events in town, bus services were free today. Unfortunatelly I had no idea which buses ran by the house, so I headed down along the road hoping a bus would pass. Instead I walked all the way back to the shopping area, before stopping at a crowded stop with others planning on catching a bus. From there I caught a bus all the way to the last stop, which happened to be right next to the festival.

Many food stalls were set up and many, many people crammed the docks taking a look at the boats on display. There were also a couple informative tents set up so that one could get a better idea on how these boats are made, or look at miniature models.


A tall ship sand sculpture

I was very tempted to buy some fish and chips at one of the stalls, but as I had eaten before coming, I just couldn't work up enough of an appetite to buy anything. As the stalls started to close and the boats started to head out of port, I headed back to the bus area, as a better view could now be seen from the deck at home. I caught the bus back as far as the grocery area, and this time stopped at a different supermarket to pick up a couple more items I hadn't been able to carry the last time. With a lighter load I did much better on the walk home, although I wished I had known which bus would have taken me closer to the door than have to carry the groceries back up the stairs. Exhausted once more from the climb I had a bit of a nap before planning on making my dinner. However I have yet to work up an appetite so I may just have some cookies and tea, and watch the expected fireworks from the balcony instead.

No comments:

Post a Comment